Frequently Asked Questions

Defending Justice, One Case at a Time

Mitchell Law Group, LLC, is your trusted legal office in Washington, PA, and the Greater Pittsburgh region. If you are in a position where you require assistance due to personal injury, estate planning, misconduct, or other legal concerns, schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys immediately. Our experienced pair of personal injury and divorce lawyers are here to address your concerns and provide reliable answers to questions.


What should I do if I’m hurt in a car accident?

First, if you are injured, you should seek medical attention by calling 911. Your second step should be to call law enforcement, making sure they prepare a police report. If you are able, you should take pictures of the accident, write down the names of any potential witness(s), and exchange insurance information with the other driver or drivers. DO NOT make any statements to any insurance company. Finally, you should call our office for a free consultation, and we will walk you through the next steps.

Does the type of car insurance I have (Limited or Full Tort Coverage) determine if I can recover from an injury?

Yes. Under Pennsylvania’s Motor Vehicle Responsibility Law, there are two options with regard to your injuries. The full tort option allows you to be compensated for an injury no matter what, even if the injury is not that serious. If you carry the limited tort option on your car insurance, you may not be able to recover unless you are seriously injured. However, there are exceptions to this rule. Call our office, and we will see if one of the exceptions applies to your case.

What do I do if I was bitten by a dog?

Just like with a car accident, you should seek medical treatment if you’re injured. You should also notify the police and animal control. Under Pennsylvania law, dog owners have a duty to make sure their dog(s) is/are leashed at all times. If you suspect a dog owner’s violation of this law has led to you being bit, causing you injury, call our office for a free consultation.

I was hurt in an accident, and I can’t afford an attorney! What do I do?

With all personal injury cases, including auto accidents, our fee is based on a percentage of what we recover. This is called a contingency fee. Basically, we don’t get paid if you don’t get paid. It’s that simple. If you’re hurt and have concerns about affording an attorney, call us, and we will walk you through the process.

What do I do if I’m hurt at work?

First, you need to seek medical care if the injury is severe, and then you must notify your employer of the injury. Second, under the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act, you will be required to treat with a company medical provider/doctor if your employer has provided you with a list of five providers/doctors for the first ninety (90) days after the injury.

Should I report work injuries to my supervisor?

Yes. Pennsylvania’s Workers’ Compensation Act requires NOTICE, and you must notify your employer within 120 days after the date of injury.

Can I treat with my own doctor if I’m hurt at work?

Under the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act, an injured worker must be treated by the company’s medical provider/doctor for the first ninety (90) days after the injury, so long as the company has provided you with a list of five treatment providers/doctors.

Do I need a will?

Not necessarily, but having a will makes the management of your estate far easier than not having one. If you have questions about making a will, call our office, and we will answer any questions you may have.

A loved one has passed away, what do I do next?

The first thing you need to do is determine if your loved one has a will. A will typically lays out who the loved one has designated to manage the Estate. That person is called the “executor” or “executrix.” The process becomes more complicated if your loved one dies without a will. Contact our office, and we will go over all the steps of administering the Estate of your loved one.

How do I open an Estate?

This depends on whether or not your loved one died with or without a will. If your loved one died with a will, the executor or executrix has to be sworn in at the Register of Wills office in the County where the decedent, your loved one, passed away. The process is more complicated if your loved one died without a will. However, we have over 50 years of experience with estate administration and will be ready to answer any questions you may have about this process.

What is a Power of Attorney and Living Will or Health Care Power of Attorney?

The documents are instruments that allow you, the principal, to designate another individual, known as the agent(s), to make either financial or healthcare decisions on your behalf if you are unable to make them for yourself. These documents are only valid if you are alive. These are different from a will in that the will is only applicable when you pass away.

For more information about our services or areas of practice or to schedule a consultation, please contact us at 724-229-9500.